I'm here to tell you I'm more excited than ever about the paid membership model! We live it everyday here at MTI, and it is working better than ever, because we have put our focus on three key areas "every" association must do in order to create amazing value, charge "RETAIL" dues to their members, and have them love paying it.
You see, this executive didn't understand how to relate his own value to the value he was receiving from his association. It would cost thousands of dollars in raw cost, time, and lost opportunity cost for him to take time away from his daily association duties to pull together a 2-day meeting of 35 association executives. Each attendee received it for $50 from FSAE. That is amazing value!
The association I manage, MTI, is experiencing this amazing phenomenon every month. This past month, we sent a letter to 45 former members, to let them know if they were continuing to use a copyrighted legal document on their invoicing, that that was for MTI members only, and they were subject to penalties and fines for copyright infringement. MTI had just spent $10,000 to strengthen the document earlier in the year, and didn't charge members a dime. The phone rang off the hook, and numerous former members have rejoined. Why?? Because they recognize MTI was doing something "more effectively" than they could individually.
|Many Assns. Membership Model|
- Online training that is relevant and member driven.
- Monthly, quarterly, and annual benchmarking to help members make great business decisions.
- "Instant Access" to 5 professional consultants, and the largest network of heat treaters in the world, to get quick solutions to daily operations and technical challenges.
- Instant, online connection to members online, with like areas of expertise, demographics, and years experience.
- Face to face conferences that allow members to combine business with pleasure, and experience nice economies of scale, while connecting their families with other industry families, as well as, business opportunities and education (becoming a nice trend for associations).
- Can I trust you?
- Do you care about me and my needs?
- Do you do EVERYTHING with EXCELLENCE?
Our performance reflects that excitement: Our membership is 15% higher than it was 6 years ago. Our per member revenue is 28% higher, driving our total member surplus up 572% by year end 2011 (during an economy in 2009, where our members sales dropped as much as 70%). Our member sales are back to record levels, and that growth in member surplus has allowed us to do some pretty amazing and valuable things for our members, without adding cost to them. Now that is a valuable member model!
Don't buy the lie! The membership model works. The key is focusing in on the 3-things I've stated above. I know, because my staff and I live it everyday!