I want you to watch the following video. It's 180 seconds seconds, and is a powerful message from John Maxwell, one of the leading speakers on purpose and leadership. Take a moment to listen:
- Graph out your key vital signs to get the big picture of where you are heading.
- Establish your mission that is clear, achievable, measurable, and supports the future picture.
- Identify your controllable and uncontrollable threats that will get in your way of achieving your mission
- Create an action plan to achieve your mission, taking into account threats. Have an action item to deal with each controllable threat, and a contingency action item for each uncontrollable threat if it occurs.
- Make sure to continue to plot out your vital signs to watch the impact of your action plan on the overall success, or need for an "innovation adjustment" to them.
- Debrief your action plan with your board and staff, and look at your vital signs each quarter to look at where you said you want to be, where you are, and any "innovation adjustments" needed to bridge the gap. The key is to watch your vital signs and make changes as needed.